Lesson Plan: Adding Parts of a Whole Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use visual models to add together two parts of the same whole, where the corresponding fractions have the same denominator.
Students will be able to
- use concrete and pictorial representations to add two fractions with the same denominator within one whole,
- recognize that only the numerator changes when fractions with the same denominator are added (the number of equal parts in the whole stays the same),
- write and complete addition sentences,
- apply knowledge of adding parts of a whole when solving word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- fractional notation, including understanding the roles of the numerator and denominator,
- unit and nonunit fractions up to 1.
Students will not cover
- totals that are greater than 1,
- adding fractions with different denominators.