Lesson Plan: Primary and Secondary Immune Responses Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to compare the primary and secondary antibody responses to infection and explain the role of memory cells in the secondary response.
Students will be able to
- distinguish between a primary and secondary antibody response to an antigen,
- explain how T and B memory cells protect against subsequent infections.
Students should already be familiar with
- both types of specific immune responses (humoral and cell mediated),
- details of clonal expansion and the formation of memory cells,
- the role of antibodies in the immune response,
- log scales on graphs.
Students will not cover