Lesson Plan: Making a Whole Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write one whole as a fraction and combine fractions with the same denominator to make one whole.
Students will be able to
- write one whole as a fraction,
- explain how to write one whole as a fraction,
- combine fractions with the same denominator to make one whole,
- find the whole given a fraction of the whole,
- decompose a whole into fractions with the same denominator.
Students should already be familiar with
- unit and nonunit fractions,
- making wholes with halves, thirds, and fourths.
Students will not cover
- fractions greater than 1,
- computational symbols, such as + and =,
- denominators greater than 12.