Lesson Plan: Order of Operations: Exponents Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to simplify and evaluate numerical and algebraic expressions using the order of operations.
Students will be able to
- understand the order of operations when performing calculations with integers and rational numbers,
- use the order of operations to simplify and evaluate numerical expressions,
- simplify and evaluate algebraic expressions at given values using the order of operations,
- solve word problems using the order of operations.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing integers,
- the laws of exponents,
- writing numerical and algebraic expressions.
Students will not cover
- square roots and irrational numbers.