Lesson Plan: Operations on Events Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the probabilities of the intersection and union of events.
Students will be able to
- find the probability of the intersection of events using a Venn diagram,
- understand and use the notation for intersection and union of events (sets) and the empty set,
- understand, using a Venn diagram, the addition rule of probability, ,
- use the addition rule of probability to calculate probabilities of unions of events,
- solve real-life problems involving intersections and unions of events.
Students should already be familiar with
- probabilities of simple events,
- dealing with fractions and percentages.
Students will not cover
- difference of events,
- complementary events,
- conditional probability.