Lesson Plan: Areas of Rectangles with the Same Perimeter Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to draw rectangles with the same perimeter, count unit squares to find their areas, and compare these areas.
Students will be able to
- draw rectangles with the same perimeter and calculate the area,
- compare the areas of rectangles with the same perimeter,
- identify rectangles with the same perimeter but different areas.
Students should already be familiar with
- calculating area and perimeter of rectangles,
- halving and doubling,
- multiplication tables up to .
Students will not cover
- compound shapes,
- using formulas to calculate the perimeter or area of rectangles,
- rectangles with decimal dimensions.