Lesson Plan: The Addition Symbol Mathematics • Kindergarten
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify and use the addition symbol to represent addition within 10.
Students will be able to
- identify the addition symbol,
- connect the addition symbol to the terms and and plus,
- match an addition expression with a picture or a story,
- match a picture or a story with an addition expression,
- add within 10 using pictures, objects, and the addition symbol but not the equal sign.
Students should already be familiar with
- counting within 10 to find the total number of objects.
Students will not cover
- addition equations (with the equal sign),
- sums greater than 10.