Lesson Plan: Equation of a Hyperbola Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to write the equation of a hyperbola and find a hyperbola’s vertices and foci using its equation and graph.
Students will be able to
- know the definitions of the foci, transverse and conjugate axes, vertices, center, and asymptotes of a hyperbola,
- derive equations of hyperbolas in standard and general form using different givens,
- calculate numerical properties of a hyperbola given its equation,
- interpret numerical properties of a hyperbola graphically.
Students should already be familiar with
- general and standard form of an equation of a conic section.