Lesson Plan: The Coordinate Plane: Four Quadrants Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the 𝑥- and 𝑦-coordinates of a point in any of the four quadrants and locate a point given its coordinates.
Students will be able to
- write an ordered pair to describe the location of points in any quadrant of the coordinate plane,
- plot points given an ordered pair of coordinates,
- plot vertices of shapes and find the coordinates of a missing vertex of a shape,
- describe how the sign of the coordinate changes when moving between quadrants.
Students should already be familiar with
- plotting and reading points in the first quadrant,
- negative numbers on number lines.
Students will not cover
- finding distances on the coordinate plane.