Lesson Plan: Halogens Chemistry • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to describe the compounds and reactivities of halogens and the trends in their physical and chemical properties.
Students will be able to
- identify the position of the halogens (group 17) on the periodic table,
- name the elements of the halogens,
- list the color of diatomic halogen gases in order to deduce the trend in colors as we move down the group,
- describe the trends in physical properties of the halogens and link these properties to the general properties of nonmetals,
- describe trends in reactivity in group 17 in order to predict the likelihood of reactions of halogens in the formation of salts,
- use the electronic configuration of the halogens to explain the trend in reactivity and displacement reactions of group 17 elements,
- make predictions regarding the reactions and properties of less common elements such as astatine.
Students should already be familiar with
- simple electronic configuration and shell diagrams.