Lesson Plan: Telling Time in Words: Time to the Hour Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to tell time to the hour on analog and digital clocks and record the time in words.
Students will be able to
- name the hour and minute hand on an analog clock,
- read the time to the hour on an analog clock or digital clock,
- write the time to the hour on an analog or digital clock,
- match analog and digital clocks showing the same time to a given time to the hour in words,
- recognize common mistakes made when telling the time.
Students should already be familiar with
- time vocabulary such as the days of the week and morning, evening, night, day, afternoon, today, yesterday, and tomorrow,
- describing the passing of time using words like “before” and “after.”
Students will not cover
- am and pm,
- writing the time in digits,
- time intervals.