Lesson Plan: Absolute Extrema Mathematics • 12th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the absolute maximum and minimum values of a function over a given interval using derivatives.
Students will be able to
- recall the extreme value theorem,
- determine the absolute maximum and minimum values of the function by comparing the values of the local extrema and the endpoints.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding critical points,
- local extrema,
- endpoints of a function over an interval,
- the concept of continuity (not necessarily the formal definition).
Students will not cover
- open intervals,
- infimum and supremum,
- analysis in cases where the second derivative does not exist.