Lesson Plan: Properties of Addition of Rational Numbers Mathematics • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use properties of addition in the set of rational numbers and determine the additive inverse.
Students will be able to
- understand the following properties in relation to the addition of rational numbers:
- closure property,
- commutative property,
- associative property,
- additive identity,
- additive inverse,
- use the listed properties to solve problems involving the addition of rational numbers,
- find the additive inverse of a rational number.
Students should already be familiar with
- the definition of a rational number,
- simplifying fractions,
- converting between fractions, decimals, and percentages,
- the addition of rational numbers.
Students will not cover
- the multiplication and division of rational numbers,
- irrational numbers.