Lesson Plan: Making 8 and 9 Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to make the numbers 8 and 9 in all possible ways, representing them using models and addition equations.
Students will be able to
- use models and objects to represent number bonds to 8,
- use models and objects to represent number bonds to 9,
- express number bonds to 8 and 9 as equations,
- use a systematic method to represent all possible number bonds,
- identify missing numbers to complete number bonds to 8 and 9.
Students should already be familiar with
- sums up to 10,
- reading and writing addition equations.
Students will not cover
- making numbers greater than 9,
- completing missing addends in addition equations.