Lesson Plan: Mutually Exclusive Events Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify mutually exclusive events and find their probabilities.
Students will be able to
- understand what mutually exclusive events are and determine if two or more events are mutually exclusive,
- know that the probability of two mutually exclusive events occurring at the same time is
zero and therefore know subsequent probability rules involving mutually exclusive events:
- use facts about mutually exclusive events to solve probability problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- probability of simple events,
- basic rules of probability,
- Venn diagrams,
- operations on events, such as a union and an intersection,
- complementary events.
Students will not cover
- independent events,
- exhaustive events.