Lesson Plan: Surface Gravity Physics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the surface gravity of a planet or moon given its mass and its radius.
Students will be able to
- understand that the acceleration due to gravity, , experienced by an object in the vicinity of a large object with mass is dependent on and the radial distance between the centers of mass of the two objects, ; so, ,
- use to calculate the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a large body,
- understand that the acceleration due to gravity experienced by object in the vicinity of a large object is the same whatever the mass of .
Students should already be familiar with
- Newton’s law of gravitation, ,
- Newton’s second law of motion, .
Students will not cover
- the gravitational field strength inside large objects,
- time-evolving systems,
- gravitational potential energy,
- gravitational potential.