Lesson Plan: Riemann Sums Mathematics • 12th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to approximate the area under the curve of a function using right, left, and midpoint Riemann sums.
Students will be able to
- use rectangles to approximate areas under curves,
- understand the difference between right, left, and midpoint Riemann sums,
- recognize the circumstances under which right or left Riemann sums underestimate or overestimate the area under a curve.
Students will not cover
- the definite integral as a limit of Riemann sums,
- evaluating definite integrals.