Lesson Plan: Calculating Perimeter Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the perimeters of composite shapes.
Students will be able to
- find the perimeters of composite shapes made of rectangles and squares,
- find the perimeters of composite shapes made of rectangles and triangles,
- find the perimeters of composite shapes where side lengths are missing,
- find the perimeters of shapes where the dimensions are given in different units,
- solve two-step problems by calculating perimeters.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding and subtracting whole numbers up to 1,000,
- doubling and halving within 1,000,
- naming line segments by their endpoints,
- converting between meters, centimeters, and millimeters.
Students will not cover
- calculating areas.