Lesson Plan: Duration to the Nearest Minute Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate elapsed time or duration of an event in either hours or minutes using number lines, skip counting, or subtraction.
Students will be able to
- calculate the duration or elapsed time between two times shown on analog clocks,
- calculate the duration or elapsed time between two times written digitally,
- use number lines and skip counting around clock faces to work out the duration or elapsed time,
- solve problems to find the duration or elapsed time.
Students should already be familiar with
- reading and writing the time to the nearest minute,
- the terms am and pm.
Students will not cover
- converting between units of time,
- 24-hour time.