Lesson Plan: Solving Quadratics: Completing the Square Mathematics • 9th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve quadratics by completing the square.
Students will be able to
- rewrite and solve a quadratic equation by completing the square and applying the square root property,
- rewrite and solve a quadratic equation by completing the square and use the sign of the constant to determine the number of solutions to the equation,
- solve real-world problems by completing the square of a given quadratic equation and determine the valid solutions by considering the physical restrictions.
Students should already be familiar with
- completing the square,
- solving quadratics by taking square roots,
- graphing quadratic functions in standard form and vertex form,
- operations on polynomials.
Students will not cover
- the quadratic formula.