Lesson Plan: Outliers of a Data Set Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify outliers from a data set.
Students will be able to
- understand what an outlier of a data set is,
- identify the outliers using the definition in case of evident outliers given graphically,
- understand what anomalies are and why they should be removed from the data and then recompute the mean or standard deviation of the data set without the anomalies,
- identify outliers of a data set by using the 1.5 IQR rule,
- identify outliers of a data set by using the 2 standard deviation rule.
Students should already be familiar with
- the range, quartiles, and IQR of a data set,
- the mean and standard deviation of a data set.
Students will not cover
- box plots,
- the shape of the distribution,
- the empirical rule.