Lesson Plan: Measuring Substances Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify measurement apparatus and describe accurate and reliable measurement methods for given experiments.
Students will be able to
- explain the difference between precise and accurate measurements,
- explain how to measure and read the volume of a liquid or solution,
- explain how to measure the mass of a sample or product,
- explain how to measure the volume of a gas using a gas syringe or through the displacement of water,
- compare the precision of measurement apparatus,
- explain when precise measurements are required during an experiment,
- identify measurement apparatus for particular experiments,
- appreciate that any measurement contains an error.
Students should already be familiar with
- scientific equipment.
Students will not cover
- error calculations,