Lesson Plan: Arithmetic Series Mathematics • 10th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the sum of the terms in an arithmetic sequence with a definite number of terms.
Students will be able to
- recognize the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence in terms of the first and last terms,
- recognize the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence in terms of its first term and common difference,
- find the sum of arithmetic sequences with a given number of terms, including a given range of terms, and examples where you know the first and last terms, and the first term and the common difference (or have the information to calculate these),
- solve applied problems, including finding the number of terms given the sum and other necessary information.
Students should already be familiar with
- working with arithmetic sequences, including finding terms and general terms, working with formulas, and solving related problems.
Students will not cover
- any series that are not arithmetic.