Lesson Plan: Properties of Multiplication in a Set of Rational Numbers Mathematics • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the properties of the multiplication operation in the set of rational numbers.
Students will be able to
- understand the following properties in relation to the multiplication of rational numbers:
- closure property,
- commutative property,
- associative property,
- multiplicative identity,
- multiplicative inverse,
- distributive property (of multiplication over addition and subtraction),
- zero product property,
- use the listed properties to solve problems involving the multiplication of rational numbers,
- find the multiplicative inverse of a rational number, using a conversion from a decimal to a fraction if necessary,
- understand that zero has no multiplicative inverse.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplying rational numbers,
- properties of addition of rational numbers.
Students will not cover