Lesson Plan: Area of a Circle Mathematics • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the area of a circle, given its radius, using the formula 𝜋𝑟² and solve problems involving quarter-circles and semicircles in real-life situations.
Students will be able to
- understand how the formula is found,
- use the formula to calculate the area of a circle,
- calculate the area of quarter-circles and semicircles,
- calculate the area of a sector of a circle when the circle has been split into equal sectors,
- solve problems involving the area of circles, quarter-circles, and semicircles.
Students should already be familiar with
- the parts of a circle,
- using an approximation of pi to solve problems.
Students will not cover
- surface area of 3D shapes.