Lesson Plan: Area of Composite Shapes Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the area of composite shapes formed of squares, rectangles, triangles, and parallelograms.
Students will be able to
- add to find the area of shapes formed of squares, rectangles, triangles, and parallelograms,
- subtract to find the area of shapes where one shape is cut from another.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplying a two-digit number by a two-digit number,
- multiplying and dividing up to three-digit numbers by one-digit numbers,
- finding the area of composite rectilinear shapes,
- finding the area of triangles,
- finding the area of parallelograms.
Students will not cover
- unit conversion,
- estimating the area of shapes,
- area of circles or sectors.