Lesson Plan: Ordering Fractions on a Number Line
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to order up to five fractions on a number line.
Students will be able to
- order unit fractions on a number line,
- order proper fractions with the same denominators on a number line,
- order proper fractions with different denominators on a number line.
Students should already be familiar with
- dividing a number line into equal parts,
- counting in fractions along a number line,
- comparing two fractions with the same denominator,
- comparing two fractions with the same numerator,
- ordering fractions using models.
Students will not cover
- denominators greater than 12,
- ordering fractions greater than 1,
- ordering fractions by finding common denominators.