Lesson Plan: Estimating the Sum and Difference of Fractions Using Number Lines
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use number lines to decide whether a sum of, or difference between, two proper fractions is more or less than zero, one half, or one.
Students will be able to
- estimate whether a sum is more or less than 1 using number lines,
- estimate whether a sum is more or less than using number lines,
- estimate whether a difference is more or less than using number lines,
- estimate whether a sum or difference is between 0 and , and 1, or more than 1.
Students should already be familiar with
- fractions on number lines.
Students will not cover
- adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators.