Lesson Plan: Perimeters of Rectangles and Squares
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the perimeters of rectangles and squares using multiplication and calculate missing sides using division.
Students will be able to
- use multiplication to calculate the perimeters of squares and rectangles,
- check the accuracy of a calculation by adding together all sides of a rectangle or square,
- use division to find missing side lengths of rectangles and squares given the perimeter,
- compare perimeters of rectangles and squares.
Students should already be familiar with
- identifying the properties of squares and rectangles,
- calculating the perimeters of rectangles and squares by measuring,
- multiplication and division up to .
Students will not cover
- perimeters of squares and rectangles drawn on grids,
- measuring the perimeter in yards or inches,
- side lengths larger than 10,
- writing perimeter formulas or using algebra.