Lesson Plan: Simplifying Fractions Using Common Factors Mathematics • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the simplest form of a proper fraction by using common factors.
Students will be able to
- understand that a fraction is in its simplest form when the only common factor is 1,
- identify fractions in their simplest form,
- find a proper fraction in its simplest form by dividing the numerator and denominator by one or more common factors.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the factors of a number,
- finding common denominators,
- creating equivalent fractions.
Students will not cover
- the term greatest common factor.