Lesson Plan: Sample and Population Methods Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine when to choose between taking a sample and a census.
Students will be able to
- understand the definition of a population and a sample,
- understand the definition of sampling units and a sampling frame,
- identify the advantages and disadvantages of samplings versus censuses,
- choose whether to use a sample or a census in a given situation,
- understand that the size of a sample affects the validity of conclusions.
Students will not cover
- types of sampling methods,
- biased and unbiased sampling,
- sample statistics and population characteristics.