Lesson Plan: Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to add and subtract mixed numbers with like and unlike denominators.
Students will be able to
- add a proper fraction and a mixed number,
- subtract a proper fraction from a mixed number,
- add two mixed numbers with like denominators,
- subtract mixed numbers with like denominators,
- add two mixed numbers with unlike denominators,
- subtract mixed numbers with unlike denominators,
- solve problems involving adding and subtracting mixed numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- simplifying fractions,
- converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions,
- adding and subtracting fractions with like and unlike denominators.
Students will not cover
- adding or subtracting more than two mixed numbers,
- calculations involving a combination of addition and subtraction.