Lesson Plan: Alcohols
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write and interpret the names and formulas of alcohols and describe their physical and chemical properties.
Students will be able to
- convert between the names of alcohols and different types of chemical formulas,
- explain trends in physical properties by examining how physical properties vary with chain length,
- list common uses of alcohols in manufacturing and industry,
- describe reactions of alcohols including combustion, dehydration, oxidation, and reactions with sodium.
Students will not cover
- hydrogen bonding in relation to the physical properties,
- organic mechanisms for the included reactions.