Lesson Plan: Vector Operations in 2D Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to perform operations on vectors algebraically such as vector addition, vector subtraction, and scalar multiplication in two dimensions.
Students will be able to
- combine addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication of 2D vectors.
Students should already be familiar with
- 2D vectors represented graphically, in vector form, and in terms of the fundamental unit vectors,
- adding and subtracting vectors in 2D,
- performing scalar multiplication on 2D vectors,
- the magnitude of vectors in 2D.
Students will not cover
- vectors in 3D or higher-order dimensions,
- the dot product,
- the cross product.