Lesson Plan: The Pythagorean Theorem in 3D Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the Pythagorean theorem to solve problems in three dimensions.
Students will be able to
- solve geometric problems using the 2D Pythagorean theorem applied to 3D systems,
- recognize and solve problems that require two iterations of the Pythagorean theorem,
- solve geometric problems using the 3D Pythagorean theorem applied to 3D systems.
Students should already be familiar with
- the Pythagorean theorem applied to 2D systems,
- cubes and cuboids,
Students will not cover
- using area or volume to find unknown lengths.