Lesson Plan: Squares of Numbers Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to recognize and use square numbers up to 225.
Students will be able to
- recognize the notation for squaring a number,
- identify the squares of positive integers up to 15,
- identify the squares of negative integers from to ,
- use square numbers to identify a given pattern and represent areas of squares,
- solve word problems involving the squares of numbers.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts,
- multiplying two-digit numbers by two-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- square numbers greater than 225,
- noninteger squares,
- finding the square root of a number,
- cube numbers, or any other exponent larger than 2,
- algebraic notation.