Lesson Plan: Converting between Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to convert between mixed numbers and improper fractions.
Students will be able to
- use models to convert between mixed numbers and improper fractions,
- convert mixed numbers to improper fractions using a written method,
- convert improper fractions to mixed numbers using a written method,
- solve problems involving converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions.
Students should already be familiar with
- representing fractions using models,
- improper fractions and mixed numbers,
- simplifying fractions.
Students will not cover
- calculations, such as addition, involving fractions or mixed numbers,
- converting between decimals and improper fractions or decimals and mixed numbers.