Lesson Plan: Estimating Products: Numbers up to 20 Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to estimate the products of one-digit numbers and teen numbers as well as estimate the products of three one-digit numbers.
Students will be able to
- use rounding and related close facts to estimate the product of a one-digit number and a teen number,
- use rounding and related close facts to estimate the product of three one-digit numbers,
- use the associative property to estimate the product of three one-digit numbers,
- estimate products in word problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts through ,
- how to use estimation methods such as rounding,
- basic concepts of multiplication,
- how to multiply a number by 10.
Students will not cover
- algorithms for finding products involving two-digit numbers,
- finding exact answers to multiplication problems.