Lesson Plan: Multistep Problems with Decimals Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve multistep word problems and evaluate numerical expressions by adding and subtracting decimals with up to two decimal places and multiplying and dividing decimals by whole numbers.
Students will be able to
- identify the steps that are necessary to solve multistep problems or evaluate numerical expressions involving decimals,
- solve two- and three-step word problems that involve adding/subtracting decimals and multiplying/dividing decimals by whole numbers,
- evaluate numerical expressions containing two or three operations,
- use bar models to help solve multistep problems involving decimals.
Students should already be familiar with
- using all four operations to solve multistep problems,
- adding and subtracting decimals,
- multiplying and dividing decimals by whole numbers.
Students will not cover
- solving problems that include powers/indices/exponents,
- solving algebraic equations.