Lesson Plan: Cube Roots of Unity Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify the cubic roots of unity using de Moivre’s theorem.
Students will be able to
- find the cube roots of unity and understand the derivation of the formula using de Moivre’s theorem,
- plot the cube roots of unity on an Argand diagram and understand the geometric properties of this diagram,
- solve problems using the properties of the cube roots of unity,
- understand the definition of the primitive cube root of unity.
Students should already be familiar with
- de Moivre’s theorem,
- different forms of complex numbers including Cartesian (algebraic/rectangular), polar (trigonometric), and exponential forms,
- representing a complex number on an Argand diagram.
Students will not cover
- roots of unity.