Lesson Plan: Solving Reciprocal Trigonometric Equations Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve trigonometric equations involving secant, cosecant, and cotangent over different intervals in degrees and radians.
Students will be able to
- solve equations involving simple reciprocal trigonometric functions (secant, cosecant, and cotangent),
- recognize the periodicity of reciprocal trigonometric functions and use this to determine all the solutions to a particular equation.
Students should already be familiar with
- reciprocal trigonometric functions,
- how to solve equations using trigonometric inverses.
Students will not cover
- solving equations that require factoring or squaring,
- solving equations that require simplification using double- or half-angle formulas.