Lesson Plan: Reflections Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to reflect points and shapes in given reflection lines.
Students will be able to
- define the reflection of a point in a straight line using perpendicular bisectors,
- use the construction of a perpendicular bisector to reflect points in a given straight line,
- use the construction of a perpendicular bisector to reflect line segments in a given straight line,
- use the construction of a perpendicular bisector to reflect shapes in a given straight line,
- reflect a shape in a straight line, where the line intersects the shape or is coincident with one of the shape’s sides.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concepts of reflections, rotations, and translations,
- constructing perpendicular bisectors.
Students will not cover
- reflecting shapes on a coordinate plane,
- combining transformations.