Lesson Plan: Laws of Exponents Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to apply the laws of exponents to multiply and divide powers and work out a power raised to a power.
Students will be able to
- understand and recall the laws of exponents:
- use the laws of exponents to simplify numerical expressions,
- use the laws of exponents to simplify simple algebraic expressions.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding powers of rational numbers with positive integer exponents.
Students will not cover
- powers with negative integer exponents,
- powers with zero exponents,
- expressions involving nonrational numbers,
- noninteger powers.