Lesson Plan: The Standard Normal Distribution Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate percentage points and values on the standard normal curve.
Students will be able to
- understand the standard normal distribution and recall key facts about it,
- find probabilities given -values for the standard normal distribution,
- find -values of the standard normal distribution, given probabilities,
- transform a normal distribution to the standard normal distribution using the formula to find -scores or probabilities,
- solve problems in real-life contexts where finding a -value or a probability of a -value is required.
Students should already be familiar with
- key facts and conditions of normal distribution including its symmetry and shape,
- calculating probabilities of normal distribution given the mean and standard deviation,
- calculating values on the normal distribution curve given the mean, standard deviation, and probabilities.
Students will not cover
- using tables to find probabilities or -scores for the standard normal distribution,
- finding unknown parameters using the standard normal distribution,
- proof of normal distribution,
- hypothesis testing related to normal distribution.