Lesson Plan: Midpoint on the Coordinate Plane Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the coordinates of a midpoint between two points on a horizontal or vertical line or those of an endpoint on the coordinate plane.
Students will be able to
- calculate the coordinates of a midpoint between two coordinates, where both coordinates lie on a horizontal or vertical line,
- find the coordinates of an endpoint given the midpoint and the other endpoint, where both coordinates lie on a horizontal or vertical line,
- solve problems in a context involving the midpoint and endpoints in the coordinate plane.
Students should already be familiar with
- plotting and reading coordinates in all four quadrants,
- properties of polygons.
Students will not cover
- the midpoint formula,
- the midpoint of coordinates that are not both horizontal or vertical,
- midpoints of coordinates in the 3D plane,
- the equation of the perpendicular bisector of two coordinates,
- the gradient of the line passing through two points.