Lesson Plan: Commutative Property of Multiplication Mathematics • 3rd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify and apply the commutative property of multiplication to multiply numbers up to 10 × 10 in any order.
Students will be able to
- use models to investigate the commutative property of multiplication,
- write two related multiplication facts to describe an array,
- find two related multiplication facts using equal groups,
- find the missing factor in a multiplication expression using the commutative property.
Students should already be familiar with
- area models and arrays,
- basic concepts of multiplication.
Students will not cover
- finding all the factors of a given product,
- other properties of multiplication.