Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Adding and Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve one- and two-step word problems involving adding and subtracting up to three mixed numbers with different denominators.
Students will be able to
- write a number sentence to describe a word problem,
- choose an appropriate method to add or subtract mixed numbers with unlike denominators to solve word problems,
- solve a one-step word problem by adding or subtracting mixed numbers with unlike denominators,
- solve a two-step word problem by adding or subtracting mixed numbers with unlike denominators,
- give the answer to a word problem in its simplest form.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding common denominators of fractions using multiplication and division up to ,
- adding and subtracting mixed numbers and proper fractions with unlike denominators.
Students will not cover
- finding the lowest common denominator using prime factors.