Lesson Plan: Maps: Direction and Distance
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe cardinal directions using a compass rose on a map and calculate distances using a scale.
Students will be able to
- describe what a satellite picture is,
- identify satellite pictures,
- identify a compass rose on a satellite picture,
- describe the relative positions of points on a map using cardinal directions,
- identify a scale on a map,
- calculate distances between points on a map using a scale.
Students should already be familiar with
- a compass rose and cardinal directions,
- map keys,
- places on maps such as cities and rivers.
Students will not cover
- continents and oceans,
- types of maps,