Lesson Plan: Surface Areas of Cones Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the lateral and total surface areas of cones using their formulas.
Students will be able to
- understand that the total surface area of a cone is the sum of its lateral surface area and the area of its base,
- calculate the lateral surface area of a cone,
- calculate the total surface area of a cone,
- calculate a missing length of a cone when given its lateral surface area or total surface area.
Students should already be familiar with
- the slant height and perpendicular height of a cone,
- the Pythagorean theorem,
- the area of a circle.
Students will not cover
- oblique cones,
- the volume of a cone,