Lesson Plan: The Menstrual Cycle Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the roles of hormones in controlling the menstrual cycle and explain how they interact with each other.
Students will be able to
- state the key events of the menstrual cycle as being ovulation, thickening of the uterus lining, and menstruation (a period),
- explain the roles of FSH, LH, estrogen, and progesterone in the control of the menstrual cycle,
- describe how these hormones interact in terms of stimulating production or inhibiting production of each other.
Students should already be familiar with
- hormones as chemical messengers transported in the bloodstream.
Students will not cover
- pregnancy and embryo development.